Home >> About Lane >> Staff Positions
Exciting Job Opportunities
The Division of Academic Affairs is seeking a part-time Assessment Coordinator.
The duties and responsibilities listed are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed in this position and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of the requirements of this job.
Responsible for facilitating all activities related to the collection and analysis of the institution's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) and assisting with activities related to institutional research and assessment. Prepare formal statistical reports and make presentations regarding QEP data collected.
- Bachelor's degree in education, research methods, or other discipline related to the responsibilities of the Assessment Coordinator; master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of appropriate experience in higher education.
- Excellent computer, communication, and interpersonal skills. Experience with Excel or other statistical programs preferred.
- Proven ability to learn, understand and utilize new software programs quickly and effectively.
- Strong organizational skills and gives attention to detail.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Electronic submissions are preferred. Submit resume and cover letter to:Dr. Michelle Stewart
Vice President for Academic Affairs
545 Lane Avenue
Jackson, TN 38301
MARKETING SPECIALIST & COPYWRITER
Lane College has opportunities for part-time copywriters and marketing specialists to join our marketing team. Multiple positions are available.
In this position, you will be responsible for crafting the promotional copy for print and online communications for our website, social media, printed marketing materials, and supporting marketing communications efforts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Generate compelling concepts and copy for print and online initiatives, such as email campaigns, social media posts, press releases, the college website, marketing and special event brochures, newsletters, personal letters, postcards, institutional grant writing and more
- Develop and maintain a college voice and tone that is consistent with our Christian HBCU history and promote the college as a welcoming grace-filled community of liberal arts scholars
- Train and assist with the supervision of Lane College student work-study/intern assistants and encourage them to be active copywriters and important participants in our marketing efforts
- Assist with the management of marketing projects using our Asana project management software
- Assist with the management of our creative files including updating and backup of the master branding files
- Build and maintain landing pages for student activities and special events and learn to use our website content management system to make basic changes in content
- Assist with development and logistics for official college appearances - such as at high school recruitment events, athletic and sporting events, fundraising events, conferences, church events, alumni events, homecoming and other campus celebrations as well as other promotions
- Assist with social media strategy including postings, monitoring keyword and online advertising performance, and optimizing our social media presence
- Assist with the development of new marketing initiatives such as initiatives to reach new market segments - such as working adults, distance-learning students, and international recruitment initiatives
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism or Mass Communication
- Min. of 2 years creative writing, journalism, or other marketing experience
- Minor in Art or Business preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to organize thoughts and write in a logical, creative, and informative manner
- Exceptionally strong proofreading skills, grammar, and copywriting skills
- Self-motivated with a high level of initiative
- Highly organized with ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail, a flexible attitude, and a team player
- An ability to attend meetings where and when necessary
- An ability to work a flexible schedule and respond to assignments during various times of the day and night - including weekend assignment
- An ability to occasionally lift 50lbs for preparation and setup of special marketing assignments
- A working knowledge of computers (building data bases, word processing, spreadsheets, graphic presentations)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to work with diverse groups including administration, faculty, staff, students, alumni, community, media, and other stakeholders
- Willingness to learn and accept new challenges in all areas of marketing and marketing management
- Familiarity with higher education and creative systems (CAMS, Asana, Eloqua, StrongView, etc.) a plus
- Previous experience in additional areas of marketing, such as graphic design, photography, and social media management preferred
DIRECTOR OF TEACHER EDUCATION
Reports to: Vice President of Academic Affairs
SALARY Based on experience.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE FULL-TIME
Lane College is seeking to fill the position of Director of Teacher Education for the Teacher Education Department. The Director of Teacher Education is the academic and administrative leader for the Department of Teacher Education for the College, and is primarily responsible for the administrative and academic components. The Director provides leadership/management and coordination for academic activities in the education department.
Masters of Education with a Certified Teacher's License in a content area and/ or specialty area such as, Elementary Education or related discipline.
Experience teaching in public, undergraduate and/ or graduate programs at an accredited school system, college and /or university.
Current knowledge of research and trends in teacher preparation and/or school leadership preparation.
Experience in assessment and accreditation (i.e., CAEP)
Demonstrated record of organizational leadership in developing, managing, and sustaining excellence in higher education programs.
Successful experience in fostering relationships among students, faculty, and external constituents.
A complete application will include a cover letter, which focuses on your qualifications and interests, a resume, unofficial transcripts, and a list of three professional references. References will only be contacted after candidate interviews.
This position is expected to begin immediately.
Director of Upward Bound (UB) Program
- Assume overall leadership and responsibilities for the organization and administration of the Lane College Upward Bound Program.
- Interview and recommend UB teachers, Counselor and staff members to the immediate supervisor.
- Prepare and electronically submit the comprehensive UB Annual Performance Report to the Department of Education. This report requires the academic progress of each UB student from the time of entry into the program and continue to track students with a postsecondary cohort for six year after graduating from high school.
- Maintain cordial relationships with the public school systems in five participating counties.
- Supervise UB budget via requisitions and purchase orders in keeping with the requirements of the College.
- Develop and submit continuous successful Upward Bound proposals every five years.
- Retain membership in the Council for Opportunity in Education, the organization that lobbies the US House and Senate on behalf of the TRIO Programs and Student Financial Aid.
- Establish an excellent relationship with the College administration, faculty, target school personnel and UB students.
- Make semi-annual reports to the immediate campus supervisor.
- Attend state, regional and national TRIO meetings to keep abreast of the political dynamics regarding the TRIO program funding. Also to keep informed of programmatic and professional development workshops sponsored by the Department of Education.
- Recruit, interview and select 90 low-income, first generation students in grades 9 through 11.
- Provide a six-week summer residential pre-college academic experience for all participants.
- Provide a 20-week Saturday follow-up academic program for 90 eligible UB students.
A minimum of a Master's Degree and experience in working with low-income, first generation students. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com to:
ATTN: Sherrill B. Scott,
545 Lane College
Jackson, TN 38301-4598
Human Resource Director
Lane College is seeking to hire a Human Resource Director. The director is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resources function. Some essential functions include: Annual reviews and making recommendations to executive management for improvement of the College's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters; compliance with federal and state laws; staff development; consult with legal department on personnel matters; and participate in on committees and special projects.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent to 10 years' related experience or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferred Education and Experience – Master's degree and a minimum of three years of related experience or training.
Applications and letters of interest should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through September 15, 2016.
Campus Security Officer
Job Title: Campus Security Officer
Reports to: Director of Campus Safety and Security
The Division of Student Affairs at Lane College is looking for an experienced, caring, and committed professional to provide personal, equipment, and real property security for faculty, staff, students, and visitors on Lane College campus.
Under the supervision of the Director of Campus Safety and Security, the Campus Security Officer is primarily focused on maintaining a visible presence in public areas, observing incidents, acting, and notifying others according to established protocols.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols campus buildings, grounds and roadways on foot and by vehicle. Guards property against fire, theft, vandalism and illegal entry.
- Protects campus property by inspecting and checking security of doors, windows and gates. Turns lights on and/or off.
- Maintains active presence in public areas to enhance the safety of parked vehicles. May escort individuals to parked vehicles. Enforces parking rules and regulations. Issues parking citations.
- Observes, investigates, and reports potentially dangerous conditions and the presence of unauthorized persons on grounds or in buildings. Responds to, assesses, and deals with disturbances according to department policy. Calls for assistance from community-based police services as required. Observes and documents details of occurrences.
- Assists community-based police in the detainment or arrest of violators when necessary.
- Reports detected leaks or malfunctions of electrical, plumbing, heating, or other equipment, notifying notify appropriate departments of impaired equipment.
- Reports emergency medical situations, summoning the appropriate emergency medical services.
- Responds to complaints and hazardous situations. Responds to incidents putting students, staff, and the general public at risk or harm.
- Detects and reports fire hazards. Extinguishes small blazes and reports fires to the local Fire Department using established emergency communications protocols. Responds to fire and burglar alarms. Summons police and fire department personnel as needed. Directs traffic at fire, special events and other congested situations.
- Assists with security and facilitates movement of pedestrians and vehicles at campus functions. Opens and closes buildings and rooms for meetings. Assists with traffic flow and controls parking and safe movement of vehicles in parking areas.
- Enhances day-to-day public relations by providing information and assistance to students, staff, and the public in a way that establishes and maintains rapport with the college community.
- Provides information and responds to questions from students, staff, and the public.
- Prepares logs and reports of daily activities including, but not limited to accident and incident reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- The position requires a basic knowledge of the methods and practices and procedures of law enforcement including those used in patrol, crime prevention, traffic control, investigation, and identification.
- Requires sufficient math skills to record distances, numbers, and times.
- Requires sufficient writing skill to prepare incident reports.
- Requires sufficient human relations skill to resolve confrontation, apply basic interviewing techniques, affect behavior of others, and convey a positive image of Lane College.
Requires the ability to perform all of the duties of the position. Must be able to use all of the tools and equipment of the position in a safe and responsible manner. Must be able to analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine and take action. Must be able to use appropriate defense measures to protect self or others in adverse situations. Requires the ability to meet standards of physical stature, endurance and agility established by the College. Must be able to initiate and maintain communication with community-based police, fire and dispatch. Must be able to administer first aid in emergency situations. Requires the ability to work productively with students, staff, and visitors in a multi-ethnic setting.
Incumbent must be able to work inside and outdoors engaged in work primarily of an active nature. Requires ambulatory ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time, physical strength to carry up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis, and agility to respond to situations. Maintain cardiovascular fitness in order to walk and run. Requires the ability to use near and far visual acuity to observe campus activity and read reports and written instructions. Requires the ability to use hearing for ordinary conversation and to hear other sounds in order to respond to normal and emergency situations.
Required Education and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education and experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent and
- Minimum of two years of experience in a security or law enforcement setting
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by the priority deadline of JUNE 30, 2016 for the position of Area Coordinator of Housing and Residential Life via email to email@example.com or via USPS to:
ATTN: Chief Steaven Joy
545 Lane College
Jackson, TN 38301-4598
- All prospective Lane College employees are required to satisfy a criminal background check
- All employees that operate a motor vehicle on behalf of Lane College must be cleared annually using Department of Motor Vehicle records
- Lane College is committed to a firm policy of equal employment opportunity
IT Desktop\Network Support Technician
The IT Desktop\Network Support Technician reports directly to the Associate Vice President for Information Technology. This position will respond to help desk calls and major problems that may occur; monitor vice & email request; assist and resolve a variety of user issues with software, hardware, and network; repair and maintain a variety of computer hardware; discover and assist with network issues involving CAMS administration install, configure CAMS in Internet Explorer, grant access to Student, Faculty accounts in CAMS. Act as backup network operator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolve and document Help Requests in the internal ticketing system daily to ensure high level of service is provided to all departments.
- Provide phone and remote support to ensure optimal operations.
- Install and maintain computers, printers, software, and network equipment.
- Receive Help Requests through internal ticketing system and e-mail to assist organizational departments within the College.
- Responsible for ID systems located in Residence Halls connectivity and functionality, responsible for ID system in Cafeteria, and fitness center, upkeep of the ID printers and supplies.
- Maintain ID database and backups.
- Setup and configurations of ID system in other areas of the College.
- Capable of repairing basic computer systems (replacing hard drives, internal cards, memory chips, loading operating systems).
- Troubleshooting desktop computers, and network connectivity issues.
- Replace memory modules, hard drives, motherboards, and power supplies; maintain multiple brands of proprietary computers; familiar with various multifunction copier/scanner/printers and multimedia projectors.
- Capable of repairing basic computer systems (replacing hard drives, internal cards, memory chips, loading operating systems).
- Microsoft Windows Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office Professional Suite, SQL Database support.
Associate Degree in IT Related Field or 3 to 5 years equivalent experience.
Experience with Networking of Hardware and Software and Network Cabling.
Ability to be very active. Requires extensive standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds.
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
To apply submit letter of interest and resume to:
DIRECTOR OF PHYSICAL PLANT
Position: Director of Physical Plant
Reports Directly to: Vice President for Administration
Primary Function/Purpose: Plan, organize, and supervise all activities and personnel in the physical facilities and assets of the campus.
- Supervise personnel in accordance with College policies and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire and train employees.
- Plan, assign and direct work; reward and discipline employees or make such recommendations to the Vice President for Administration
- Address complaints and resolve problems. Approve payroll work authorizations for all department staff. Recommend individuals for hire to the Vice President for Administration and the Office of Human Resources.
- Oversee and direct maintenance personnel, laborers and outside contractors engaged in equipment or systems installation, facilities equipment repair, preventive maintenance, painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, grounds maintenance, operational functions, and other projects.
- Inspect buildings and physical plant; inspect construction, projects, and contractor installations progress for conformance to standards and specifications.
- Budget, formulate specifications, prepare cost estimates, bid sheets, documents, layouts, contracts, complete work orders, requisition equipment and supplies, process billings, and track budget expenses.
- Plan for facility operation, building maintenance, grounds maintenance, and facility projects, renovations, modifications, etc. Assist in the development of long-range plans, conceptual designs, and capital outlay projections.
- Analyze and resolve daily work problems.
- Complete campus inspections and investigations when requested by local and state agencies.
- Respond to emergency calls, including after-hour calls.
- Assist with transportation operations, as directed by the Vice President for Administration, including maintenance of College fleet to provide optimum use of vehicles by College personnel.
Lane College values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and identified as examples of what is expected of a Director of Physical Plant:
- Display empathy and positive regard for others in written and verbal communications;
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, meeting deadlines, collaborative problem solving and honest communication;
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity and courtesy;
- Maintain proficiency as needed and approved by attending training seminars, reading materials and meeting with others in areas of responsibility; and
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety.
- Bachelor's degree preferred and five years of experience or training in field work which demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities to perform duties.
- Considerable knowledge of physical plant operations, maintenance, tools, equipment, practices, methods, hazards, safety precautions used in maintenance repair of plant, buildings and grounds.
- Extensive knowledge of regulatory compliance related to physical plant and personnel supervision.
- Considerable knowledge of construction practices, contracts, and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge or training in automated HVAC controls, maintenance, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, grounds keeping, and equipment repair.
Lane College Library seeks a creative, collaborative, and energetic catalog librarian to complement its Technical Services. He/she is responsible for managing the Technical Services and maintaining high standards of cataloging with current and evolving best practices in cataloging.
- Catalog and process all purchases and selected gift books using WorldCat.com.
- Catalog and re-classify existing library materials as necessary. Catalog non-print formats, including CDs, DVDs, and archives.
- Research name forms and do authority work; contribute authority records to NACO.
- Participate in formation of policy and procedures for Technical Services. Keep up to date with new and emerging descriptive practices and tools.
- Assist in training and revise the work of catalog as required.
- Provide scheduled reference service and circulation desk work; attend professional development meetings and training sessions.
- Assist in the selection of books, scholarly magazines and journals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work one night per week is required.
- An ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library/Information Science, knowledge of and experience in archives preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current national cataloging /metadata content and structural standards, experience with Dewey Decimal System, MARC21, AACR2, RDA, LCSH.
- Familiarity with authority work.
- Good organizational skills & attention to detail.
- Experience working in a team environment.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
To apply for a staff position, please submit a letter of interest and a résumé to:
545 Lane Avenue
Jackson , TN 38301
*Please note that e-mailed materials are preferred.
LANE COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER