Chief Deputy Clerk - Jackson
The Appellate Court Clerk is seeking a qualified person for the position of Chief Deputy Clerk in the Appellate Court Clerks’ Office in Jackson, Tennessee. Under the limited supervision of the Appellate Court Clerk, this position is responsible for supervisory, advanced court clerical and administrative work in the operation of the Jackson office of the Clerk for the Appellate Courts. The position involves substantial discretion and independent judgment in carrying out tasks such as preparing and maintaining the calendar, planning office workflow and monitoring the automated entry of case information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Clerk of the Appellate Courts in all phases of supervision of the work within the office, including docketing of appeals, filing motions, issuing orders of the court, processing opinions, interpreting rules for attorneys, clerks of lower courts, and court reporters and providing information to judges and the public;
- Prepares and updates dockets and calendars and prepares records and briefs for submission to the court;
- Attends court sessions, calls cases, tapes sessions, and answers questions concerning records and procedures;
- Issues notices to attorneys of record and maintains case files; updates computer files, tracks cases, stores records and briefs; orders equipment and supplies; and prepares courtroom for hearings;
- Calculates bills of costs, receives and accounts for payments of costs and prepares deposits;
- Supervises personnel within the assigned division to meet the duties and responsibilities of the office and prepares performance appraisals of personnel at regular intervals;
- Maintains liaison with AOC;
- Supervises and participates in the processing of all incoming mail and the indexing, distribution and mailing of court opinions, orders and mandates;
- Prepares periodic case reports for judges, including filings, dispositions, motions and pending cases;
- Contacts Attorney General’s office to provide information for bond forfeitures of defendants;
- Maintains master files on new rules, appointments to boards and commissions, and matters pertaining to Board of Professional Responsibility, Board of Law Examiners, law student practice and attorney enrollment;
- Swears in new attorneys; prepares certificates of good standing;
- Attends meetings and conferences; and,
- Performs related work as required.
Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of court procedures and policies, legal documents, laws and legal factors pertaining to the appellate courts; thorough knowledge of the organization, operation, functions, and scope of authority of the appellate courts; and, considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to make work decisions in accordance with laws, regulations and supreme court policies and procedures; ability to maintain a variety of complex records and prepare reports from such records; ability to supervise and provide guidance to subordinates; ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; and, the ability to work with Microsoft Office software and WordPerfect.
The successful applicant must have education equivalent to graduation from a standard high school and experience equivalent to eight years of increasingly responsible full-time work in a court clerk’s office at the local or appellate level or administrative experience in a law office, including familiarity with procedures, rules, policies, laws, and operations of the Appellate Courts. Qualifying education at an accredited college, business school, or technical institute in a related field may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Department: Office of the Appellate Court Clerk
Position Available: Immediately
Position Closing: Deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. CST. July 15, 2014
Provide a current resume and submit an Application for Employment in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only electronic applications in PDF format will be accepted.
For more information call: Contact Human Resources at 615-741-2687.