|Security :: Campus Lockdown|
Campus Lockdown Procedures
What is a lockdown?
A lockdown prevents persons from entry or departure from a Lane College campus facility and is used to protect building occupants in the case of an emergency. Once an emergency is declared by the President or an appropriate designee, the following lockdown procedures are to be followed:
2. If outside, move to the nearest building.
3. Close windows and doors and stay away from them.
4. Lock doors, if possible, or barricade doors and take cover to protect yourself
5. Turn off air-conditioning, ventilation, and lighting, if possible.
6. Close window coverings, blinds, shades, etc.
7. Remain quiet and in place until notified by emergency personnel.
8. Silence cell phones and do not use them unless you are in contact with emergency personnel.
9. Do not allow anyone to exit the classroom until the “all clear” signal is given by the administration or Campus Security.
Notification of a campus lockdown will be communicated via the Emergency Notification System (e2 Campus). During a lockdown, police and other emergency personnel would be responding to the emergency.
All campus buildings are to be locked to prevent entrance from unauthorized persons.
There are a number of emergency situations in which an evacuation of the building and/or classroom is not advisable – hostile intruder, hazardous released outside, terrorist attack, etc. The following situational procedures should be followed:
If a violent situation arises for which law enforcement personnel are being called, the following information must beprovided at the time of the call:
2. Campus Security at ext. 7531
3. Director of Safety at ext.1203
A psychological crisis exists when an individual threatens harm to herself/himself or to others, manifested by extreme behavior. If a psychological crisis occurs on campus:
2. Notify Security by calling ext. 7531
3. Provide your name and location for officers to respond to the situation.
4. The security officer is to then notify the Director of Health/Counseling at ext. 7613.
Should you become aware of someone whose capacity to cope has become overwhelmed to the point that they can no longer function effectively (uncontrollable crying, severe withdrawal, speaking in general terms of harming self), you are to call the Health/Counseling Services at ext. 7613 during regular business hours 8:00am - 5:00pm. After hours, you are to contact Security at ext. 7531 (who in turn will contact the Director of Health/Counseling).
If a hostage has been taken or the perpetrator is armed, do not attempt to 1) disable or disarm the perpetrator, 2) negotiate or, 3) set off any audible alarms. If possible, employees must prevent entrance to the facility or area by others. Law enforcement personnel will assume control of the situation upon their arrival and will establish a command post in or near the facility.
If taken hostage:
2. Remain calm.
3. Treat the hostage taker as normal as possible.
4. Be respectful to hostage taker.
5. Ask permission and do not argue.
If you are involved in a situation where someone has entered the area and started shooting, the following is a listof actions that are recommended. It should be noted that these types of incident are unpredictable. The below guidelines are recommendations that are based on past experiences. You may have to alter some of these suggestions, depending on the situation.
2. Leave the campus if you can safely do so; notify a supervisor or fellow worker know that you are leaving
3. Call 911 and Campus security at ext. 7531 from any campus phone.
4. Give the dispatch operator the following information:
b. Location of the incident (be as specific as possible)
c. Number of shooters (if known)
d. Identification or description of shooter
e. Number of persons who may be involved
f. Your location
2. Close and lock the door.
3. Cover the door windows.
4. Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room. (DO NOT answer the door).
5. Notify 911 and campus security.
6. Give the dispatch operator the following information:
• Location of the incident (be as specific as possible)
• Number of shooters (if known)
• Identification or description of shooter
• Number of persons who may be involved
• Your location
Non-emergency incidents occurring on campus can be reported directly to the College Security by calling (731) 426-7531 or (731) 426-7500.
Lane College |
545 Lane Avenue | Jackson, TN 38301
(tel) 731.426.7500 | (fax) 731.423.4931