ASSOCIATE IN ARTS DEGREE REQUIREMENTS MAJOR: MASS COMMUNICATION/MEDIA STRATEGIES
The Lane College Media Strategies AA program mission is to prepare students for employment in entry-level positions. It also provides students with credentials for acceptance to BA degree programs.
- To acquaint the student with an introduction to the basic types, principles, and practices of media;
- To foster the student’s understanding of the theories and practices of writing across various mass media; and
- To further develop the student’s written and verbal communication skills so that the student can communicate across various media platforms.
Students who complete the Media Strategies major with a 2.0 GPA or above will be able to :
- Write clearly and accurately for broadcast, print, internet, and social media;
- Understand the function and effect of social media in a democratic society; and
- Successfully apply for admission to BA degree programs.
MEDIA STRATEGIES COURSE REQUIREMENTS:
Media Strategies Core
ART 130-Beginning Drawing
DIG 131-Introduction to Digital Media Strategies
COM 131-Introduction to Mass Communication
COM 135-Introduction to Media Writing
COM 233-Editorial Writing and Interpreting
CSC 140-Introduction to Web Design
Students must complete (2) courses from the following list:
ART 230-Intermediate Drawing
CSC 131-Programming I
COM 236-Online Journalism for News Reporting
MKT 131-Principles of Marketing
General Education requirement for AA degree
Sociology Courses or electives