I want to extend my thanks to you – our new students and rising sophomores, juniors and seniors – and your families for being vigilant, patient, flexible and prayerful during this difficult time!
2020 Fall Semester
Lane College will welcome new students (August 1, 2020) and returning students (August 6, 2020) to the campus this 2020 fall semester with a hybrid model combining both face-to-face and online classes. We will have “A Healthy, Safe and Supportive Campus with Healthy Scholars Practicing Personal Responsibility to Achieve Student Success”. To this end, at each step of the way, the College has met and exceeded the standards of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Tennessee Department of Health, Madison County Health Department, and local, state and federal governmental orders!
Campus Re-opens for Faculty and Staff
The campus will reopen on Monday, July 6, 2020 for all of the remote employees to return. Campus offices will be fully open to conduct business with the COVID-19 protocols in place.
Virtual Commencement 9:00 a.m., July 18, 2020
In response to the Lane College Board of Trustees, the 2020 Commencement celebration will be held virtually at 9:00 a.m., July 18, 2020 and rebroadcast at 1 p.m. We will be in touch on how to access the celebration.
Healthy Environment, Safe and Supportive
As I indicated, student success will be achieved on our healthy, safe and supportive campus with healthy scholars practicing personal responsibility. Our Mission continues,
even facing COVID-19, to develop the whole student with academic excellence as our highest priority.
- All facilities will be cleaned two times per day this fall.
- Team Clean, the facility staff, has expanded personnel to clean high touch areas.
- Team Clean has added cleaning agents designed to clean the coronavirus.
- I have established the Pandemic Proof Biodefense Team, made up of biology and chemistry faculty, and facility and medical personnel to address the evolving, changing coronavirus.
- Our Information Technology Department, IT, has sourced and secured hardware, software, and tools to support online learning.
- Health Services and the Office of Administration have secured Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and sanitizers including 13,000 masks.
In our hybrid model, students, faculty and staff will have the option to teach, learn, work and/or study remotely or face-to-face. We will provide enriching and rigorous academic experiences to students who will return to campus or who choose to continue remotely. Class schedules will identify which courses will have in-person components and which will be entirely remote. Your advisers will be available to support you as you craft your schedule. You will receive additional messages from the Office of Academic Affairs in the month ahead.
Housing and Residence Life
Freshmen will move-in on Saturday, August 1, 2020 and upperclassmen on Thursday, August 6, 2020. The Housing and Residence Life staff are preparing the facilities for your return. Due to COVID-19, expect a few changes:
- Each residential student will be required to return to campus with a negative COVID-19 test result. Housing and Residence Life will provide additional information.
- Please adhere to the move-in schedule provided by Housing and Residence Life.
- Several of our residential facilities will be single room occupancy only.
- Housing and Residence Life will provide updates.
Campus and Community Expectations
When on campus, you will be required to WWSS: Wear your mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Self-check (monitor your own health). Each and every time that you return to campus or leave your residence hall room, you will be required to affirm that you are free of COVID-19 symptoms.
Campus access will be limited to Lane College students, faculty, staff and guests who have checked in through the security office.
Campus Community Support
Well, as you have read, there are many changes. Together, we will have a healthy, safe, and supportive semester with each of us practicing personal responsibility.
Let’s have a great 2020-2021 year!
Please continue to stay in touch, and know that we are planning every day for your return.
Grace, mercy and peace,
P.S. Stay in touch. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by cell at 731.234.3526.