Dear Lane College Community
Your health and safety have been uppermost in my mind and prayers over the past few days and weeks. As we learn more about and monitor the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID – 19), I have sought counsel from our College Physician and nurse, faculty, staff, administration, students and Board chair. I have also monitored quite closely the views and recommendations of our national public health experts with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and their collective and near unanimous assessments that the spread of the Coronavirus across the country is inevitable. Accordingly, as we proceed with the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester, we will make the following adjustments.
- Classes will be delivered only via remote instruction - no face-to-face teaching. While Blackboard and CAMS are the College’s primary learning management tools, faculty may use a variety of platforms to advance and evaluate the student learning outcomes for each course.
- Remote Classes will begin on Monday, March 23, 2020 and continue through the end of the semester.
- Spring Break is scheduled March 16-20, 2020. Although the College cannot restrict personal travel, we strongly recommend that travel to known locations where the Coronavirus is now concentrated be avoided.
- College-sponsored travel is restricted.
- Housing will remain open for students who need to remain on campus. However, students have the option of completing the semester remotely. See the Director of Housing for check-out procedures.
- Dining Hall will provide service for students who remain on campus.
- College assemblies, chapels, and other large gatherings will be cancelled for the remainder of the semester.
- The Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) has canceled competitions and practices for the season.
- Commencement (graduation ceremony), April 25, will continue as scheduled. However, please stay tuned for updates and modifications to include limited seating.
- Staff offices will remain open.
- Lane College is not closed, and we have no plans to close
To further protect yourself and others and slow the possible transmission of the Coronavirus, please do the following:
- Stay vigilant in mitigating risk by following the CDC guidelines (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html) and Tennessee Department of Health (https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov.html);
- Reduce social interaction;
- Practice everyday preventive behaviors;
- Stay home when sick;
- Cover coughs and sneezes;
- Frequently wash hands with soap and water; and
- Clean frequently touched surfaces.
If you have been in contact with someone who has the Coronavirus or you are experiencing respiratory symptoms, fever, cough or shortness of breath, contact your primary healthcare provider or the health department.
This pandemic has impacted each of us. I ask you to continue to be vigilant, prayerful and patient as we manage through this everchanging pandemic. I am sure that you will have many questions, and we, faculty, staff and administration, will do our best to respond. Please be patient.
The College will continue to use the Lane College email addresses to communicate updates.
Grace, mercy and peace,
Logan Hampton, Ed.D.