We're here to give you an unforgettable, safe residential living space that helps foster your development by providing quality services, enabling you to have a remarkable experience, meet unforgettable people at a one-of-a-kind place. You'll learn, grow and develop integrity, professionalism, respect, and accountability within the residence halls. Come live, learn, laugh and play with us. We're excited you chose to live at Lane! Reserve your room today!

Apply For Housing Maintenance Requests

Housing/Dining Accommodations

Students with disabilities may need housing and/or dining accommodations due to the impact their disability. Disability Support Services (DSS) collaborates with Housing and Residence Life to meet the on-campus housing needs of students with disabilities. Examples of housing accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

· ADA compliant rooms
· Single occupancy rooms
· Meal plan exemptions or modifications
· Assistance animals (Service Animal & Emotional Support Animal)

Housing/Dining accommodations must be reasonable, relate to the impact of the disability, and address their functional limitations. Disability Support Services, Housing and Residence Life, and Dining Services work closely together to ensure accommodation needs are met for students with disabilities living on-campus. In order to begin the process of requesting a housing/dining accommodation, the following procedures have been established:

Housing/Dining Accommodation Procedures:

To begin a request for housing and/or dining accommodations, including emotional support and assistance animals, students should do the following:

  1. Submit a request for accommodations with the DSS office.
    When filling out the application, please be detailed in your request and detailed in your disability-related limitations and accommodations needed.
  2. Obtain documentation from a qualified health or other provider in support of your requested accommodation. Medical documentation should include the diagnosed disability, functional limitations, along with recommended accommodations. Note: If the request is for an Emotional Support Animal, see information under Emotional Support Animal.
  3. Submit both the application and documentation to DSS. You can email, fax, mail, or drop off in person the documentation to DSS using the following contact information:

Submit Information to:
Disability Support Services
Lane College
545 Lane Avenue
Jackson, TN 38301
Phone: (731) 426-7562
Fax: (731) 426-7587
Email: dss@lanecollege.edu
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Dining Accommodation Requests

Lane College will make every attempt to meet a student’s disability related dietary needs. The accommodation process will include a referral to the Director of Dining Services, who will assist in determining if Lane College dining services can accommodate the student. The Director of Dining Services will share their recommendation with the student and DSS. Upon review of the recommendation, DSS will approve or deny the accommodation request.

If the Director of Dining Services recommends meal plan exemption and DSS has received documentation supporting the request, DSS will forward the approval to the Director of Housing & Residence Life for processing.

Lane College Dining Services Contact Information:
James Sylvester Email: jslyvester@lanecollege.edu
Phone: 731-300-7251

Emotional Support Animal (ESA)

The Disability Support Services provides reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) may be approved while living in on-campus housing on a case-by-case basis when there is a documented need.

Students residing in on-campus housing requesting the ESA accommodation must complete a request for accommodations application with DSS and schedule an appointment. Students who have not completed the ESA approval process, and are residing in on-campus housing with an animal, are in violation of the Lane College Student Code of Conduct and will be subject to disciplinary actions.

Submitting Documentation:

Reasonably supporting documentation consists of medical documentation diagnosing a disability by a qualified professional (physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner) specific as to the individual with a disability, and information that a relationship or connection between the disability and the need for the assistance animal can alleviate impact of disability. This is particularly the case where the disability is non-observable, and/or the animal provides therapeutic emotional support. You can email, fax, mail, or drop off in person the documentation to DSS using the following contact information:

Disability Support Services
Lane College
545 Lane Avenue
Jackson, TN 38301
Phone: (731) 426-7562
Fax: (731) 426-7587
Email: dss@lanecollege.edu
Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

ESA Committee Next Step Decision Processes:

Once documentation has been received completed to the DSS, the ESA Committee will meet and review each student request to determine accommodation approval. The ESA Committee will make a decision within 30 calendar days of receipt of an ESA request on whether an accommodation will be granted. Please see the information below on the types of decisions below:

  • Pending Decision Process: The ESA Committee may need additional information from the qualified professional who completed the form for clarification purposes. An ESA Committee member will contact the qualified professional. After receiving the updated information, the ESA Committee will move forward to either approve or deny the request.
  • Approval Decision Process: Once the ESA Committee has approved the ESA request, the DSS representative to the ESA Committee will notify the student by phone and email. The student is required to attend an Animal Housing Guidelines Review Meeting. After the review meeting, the student will complete forms needing signatures during the appointment and receive copies of all signed forms. The following remaining required document information is to be completed at least 7 days before the animal moves into on-campus housing.
    • The Lane College Housing and Residence Life Animal Ownership Agreement Form must be reviewed, completed, and signed. You must also provide the documentation listed above before the animal is allowed to move into on-campus housing. The Agreement Form includes important information on Standards for approved animals, animal care & guidelines, cleaning and damage, animal liability, areas off limits to animals, removal of animal, conflicting disabilities/roommate, and the complaint process.
      - City of Jackson Animal Registration –https://jacksontn.gov/governme...
      - Vaccination certificate/Shot Record showing Rabies Vaccination & Rabies Tag (depending on type of animal)
      - Current color picture of Animal
    • The Service and Emotional Support Animal Roommate Agreement Form must be completed by each roommate and turned into Housing and Residence Life prior to the animal occupying the assigned space. Responses on the roommate agreement form may result in a new room assignment for the student and their animal. If a new room assignment is required after housing has been filled for the academic year, students may experience a slight delay in receiving a newly assigned living space. Please be patient with Housing and Residence Life staff during this time as they seek to provide a suitable housing experience for you and your animal.
  • Denial Decision Process:
    The ESA Committee may decide that a requested ESA is not necessary and/or reasonable under the FHA. Once the ESA committee denies the request, this information will be communicated to the student by phone and email. The student can choose to appeal the decision and provide additional information to the ESA Committee. Upon receipt of the appeal, the ESA Committee will reconvene and review all of the relevant information and choose to either grant the appeal, modifying the initial decision, or deny the appeal and maintain the initial decision. The ESA Committee’s decision shall be final. If the ESA’s appeal request is approved after the initial denial decision, the DSS representative will initiate the approval decision process.

The Assistance Animals Complaint Form is available to assist with reporting disruptive behavior in regards to a Service Animal or an Emotional Support Animal. Once the form is completed and submitted, the ESA Committee will meet and make a decision based on the complaint and notify the complainant and offending party.

Lane College Service and Emotional Support Animals (ESA) Housing Guidelines

I. Introduction - Lane College is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities who require the assistance of service or emotional support animals; however, the college is also mindful of the health and safety concerns of the campus community. Set forth below are specific requirements and guidelines concerning the appropriate use of and protocols associated with Service Animals and Assistance Animals. The Service/Therapy Emotional Support Animal Committee which consists of a representative from Disability Support Services (DSS), Counseling Center, Housing & Residence Life and Dean of Students reserves the right to amend this policy as circumstances require.

II. Definitions

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), any person who has a physical or mental condition which substantially limits one or more life activities (such as walking, seeing, hearing, working or learning) meets the definition of an individual with a disability. Individuals with a record of such a condition, or individuals who are regarded as having such a condition are also entitled to protection from discrimination. Acceptable documentation of a disability can be from either a medical or mental health professional.

Service Animal: ADA defines a service animal as any dog or miniature horse that is trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair or fetching dropped items. A service animal must be registered through the Office of Disability Support Services.

Emotional Support Animal: An emotional support animal is an animal selected to play an integral part of a person’s treatment process that demonstrates a good temperament and reliable, predictable behavior. An emotional support animal is prescribed to an individual with a disability by a physician or mental health professional. An emotional support animal is not a service animal. Emotional Support animals are only permitted in housing, not in other campus buildings.

Pet: A pet is an animal kept for companionship. A pet is not considered a service animal or a therapy/emotional support animal, and, therefore, is not covered by this policy. Residents are not permitted to keep pets on Lane College property or in college on-campus housing.

III. Service and Emotional Support Animals in Lane College Housing Requests
The request to have an emotional support animal reside in campus housing must be submitted each academic year. The student must notify Housing & Residence Life and the DSS in writing if the animal is no longer needed as an emotional support animal or is no longer in the residence hall. In order to substitute one animal with a different animal, the student must file a new request.

The following information will be needed after the emotional support animal is approved and at least 7 days before the animal moves in:

  1. Vaccination Certificate/Shot Record
  2. Current Color Picture of Anima

IV. Standards for Approved Service or Emotional Support Animals
As a person who has been approved for a Service or Emotional support animal, you have the responsibility to keep your animal in a healthy and sanitary condition at all times. All approved service or emotional support animals must comply with applicable laws regarding animals and their treatment and care. You understand that this agreement could be withdrawn if you fail to abide by responsibilities listed below:

Dogs and Domestic Cats

  • All required immunizations must be up to date and a copy of the immunizations must be on file with the Housing & Residence Life office.
  • Dogs and cats must be licensed and a copy of the license must be on file with the Housing & Residence Life office.
  • A copy of the veterinarian’s report must be on file with the Housing & Residence Life office.
  • The animal must wear a collar with current rabies tags at all times. The owner must have their animal on a leash whenever the animal is not inside the residence room (i.e., when transitioning the animal to a vehicle). Dogs and cats must never be allowed to run freely.
  • Dogs and cats must possess friendly and sociable characteristics. A specific dog and cat can be restricted from the premises by the Service and the Emotional Support Animal Committee based on any confirmed threatening behavior.
  • Obedience and training programs are highly recommended for dogs.

Any Other Animal

  • To be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • Dangerous, poisonous, and/or illegal animals are not permitted as these would not be considered a reasonable accommodation in a community living environment.


Customer Service


Alumni Hall | 731-868-1233

Cleaves Hall | 731-426-7515

Graves Hall | 731-426-7566

Hamlett Hall | 731-426-7574

Harper Hall | 731-215-1753

Jennie E Lane Hall | 731-215-1532

Orchards Hall | 731-256-8743

Smith Hall | 731-426-7530