Federal and State Aid

Types of Financial Aid

There are three basic types of financial aid: grants/scholarships, loans, and work-study programs.

Grants and Scholarships

Grants and scholarships are often called “gift aid” because they don’t have to be repaid. Grants can come from a variety of different locations, most commonly the federal and state governments. There are thousands of scholarships, from all kinds of organizations. Below are just a few examples of the grants and scholarships available.

Federal Grants

• Federal Pell Grants
• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
• Federal TEACH
• Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

Federal Loans

• Subsidized Federal Direct Loan
• Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan
• Federal Parent Plus Loan Program

Tennessee Grants*

• Tennessee State Assistance Corporation Grant* (TSAC)
• Tennessee Educational Lottery Scholarship* (TELS or HOPE)
• Tennesse Promise
• Tennessee Reconnect
• Tennessee Student Assistance Award

Vocational Rehabilitation Grants

• These grants are made through the Department of Human Services for students who have some type of disability. Contact the local office of the Department of Human Services for more details.

D 4

Apply for FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a form that can be prepared annually by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. The FAFSA should not be confused with the CSS Profile, which is also required by some colleges.


Dependency and Verification

Every year a certain number of financial aid applicants are selected for verification. This may happen in two ways. Students may be selected at random by the Department of Education. The Student Aid Report will indicate whether you have been selected for verification. Additionally, the Financial Aid Office may select a student for verification based upon unusual or conflicting information received from the student.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) measures a student's completion of coursework toward a degree. Students who do not complete classes in which they are enrolled, or fail to achieve the minimum standards for grade point average may lose their eligibility for all types of federal, state, and institutional aid. SAP is measured both qualitatively (GPA) and quantitatively by a completion standard or pace based on attempted and earned credit hours